____________________________________

Wednesday, October 10, 2012


How to Pitch a New York Publisher

I'm headed out to another conference in the morning. It's the first of four straight weekends with people pitching book ideas. 

I love helping other writers to be successful pitching their ideas. As an acquisitions editor, each week I champion author's book ideas to my publication board and then help them understand the details of our publishing program and their book contract. It is a great deal of fun because with each step, I can see authors get closer to achieving their dreams of getting their book into print.

Many authors fail in this process to capture the attention of an editor or agent because they have no concept of how their pitch is received. Have they included all of the right elements in that pitch? Many of them have not. 

To help you, I've pulled together a short Book Proposal Checklist (follow this link). Download the checklist and also follow the different resources and links I have at the bottom of this page. 

Several days ago, I recorded a 30–minute interview about how to pitch a New York publisher (Morgan James Publishing). I encourage you to download this interview (right click and save as to get it on your computer so you can hear it whenever you want). 

I hope you will learn a great deal from it. I'm excited to hear new book ideas. I hope this helps you.


AddThis Social Bookmark Button

SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend



Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comment:

At 7:18 PM, Blogger Peter DeHaan Left a note...

Thanks for listening to mine!

 
At 6:49 PM, Blogger Terry Whalin Left a note...

Peter,

Your pitch was solid. Well-thought out and targeted. I loved it. Keep up the good work and send me that material. I'm eager to see it.

Terry

 

Post a Comment


That's the writing life...

Back to the home page...