____________________________________

Monday, April 13, 2009


A Return to The Writing Life

Have you ever been missing in action? You have built expectations to where readers expect to be receiving your material and it has suddenly stopped.

Since late 2004, I have been writing these entries about The Writing Life and various aspects of publishing. A simple goal of capturing a few words a day has built until it is over 900 entries on many different aspects of the publishing industry. If you haven't used the free search tool in the right hand column of these entries, you could be missing some valuable writing insight. In late January, I stopped writing and took a break from these entries.

The day after Easter and a celebration of the resurrection seems like a perfect day to begin again. If you follow me on Twitter, you know I have not left publishing or stopped pointing to different articles and bits of publishing information. My followers on Twitter has grown to over 13,000. In relation to Twitter, I have recently started using a free tool called Hootsuite. If you haven't tried it, I recommend it because it gives people an easy way to Retweet or pass along your tweets--something which can become very viral in spreading the buzz about something.

First, let me say something about taking a break from regular writing. It's OK to give yourself permission. I know the writing books talk about the necessity of writing on a regular basis and I applaud that consistent pattern. At the same, time life happens and you should not feel guilty for stopping a pattern or changing it.

I continue an active role in publishing and actually much more hands on than the last few years. I've closed my literary agency and become a publisher at Intermedia Publishing Group. I'm working with a number of different authors on their books--cover design meetings, editing their books and much more. It's limited my time for writing these entries but I'm determined they should continue.

I hope you will check my speaking schedule from time to time. In the coming weeks, I will be back out teaching and talking one-on-one with writers about their specific projects. I'd love to meet you and talk about your project and how we could work together.

This weekend I head to Baltimore and the Spread the Word Conference. I'm excited about the opportunity to talk about how a published book can be a great calling card for every writer. There is still room for you to register and attend this conference. Hope to see you there.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Labels: , ,

6 Comment:

At 12:52 PM, Blogger Debbie Petras Left a note...

I always enjoy reading your posts. However, I often see you on Twitter and love that you share valuable links with others. I always seem to smile when I read your morning tweets about the beautiful desert morning. Since I too live in the Phoenix area, I look out the window and agree with you! Sometimes it's good to take a break from writing.

By the way, my mother-in-law is going to be 84 years old and she finally self-published her first fiction book called "Love, War and Eternity" by Lori Dare Lewis. It's on Amazon! I'm thrilled for her. She could have gone to Columbia School of Journalism on a scholarship but her strict father wouldn't allow his daughter to venture into the city at that time. So, it's been so good for her to finally get to write her book.

 
At 3:31 PM, Blogger Vie Herlocker Left a note...

Welcome back, Terry. I've missed the posts. Guess it's time to learn how to follow you on Twitter.

 
At 4:58 PM, Blogger Krista Phillips Left a note...

Welcome back! I agree, sometimes a much needed break is required! I applaud you for recognizing that and implementing:-)

 
At 4:04 AM, Blogger Sheila Hall Left a note...

Missed you! I am pleased to learn of the New Direction your career and personal Mission have taken. I am doubly pleased that The Writing Life will continue. I know you have a rich and abiding personal commitment to the development and success of writers. No doubt, this New Direction will enhance that commitment. You have generously sown into the writing lives of more than a generation of author aspirants. May the LORD expand your sphere of influence so that the Good Work you have begun will EXCEED your most compelling expectations. I appreciate all you do.

 
At 6:45 AM, Blogger David A. Todd Left a note...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 6:47 AM, Blogger David A. Todd Left a note...

I had decided to e-mail you today and tell you how much I missed new entries in The Writing Life. I decided to check the site before e-mailing, and poof! A new update. Thanks for the return. I don't do Tweeter because it's blocked at the office and I just don't at home, so all I have of you is TWL. Hope to see updates often.

Dave Todd
P.S. Re-posted to correct an embarrassing typo.

 

Post a Comment


That's the writing life...

Back to the home page...