____________________________________

Thursday, November 20, 2008


Free Seasoned Writer Advice

When it comes to following advice from other writers, I've always looked for the most experienced sources. For example, if I'm attending a writer's conference, I want to take instruction from the most experienced and most published instructor. I will often carefully research their background as I make my choices about which classes to attend.

Not that I can't learn from new writers, from my experience, I've found someone who has written many books has much more depth to their teaching than someone who has only published four or five books.

For many years I've been an active member of the American Society of Journalists and Authors. I've written about their conventions and other aspects of the organization. It is an unusual writer's group because to become a member, you have to meet specific qualifications. While the ASJA has a public aspect to their conferences, they have a monthly magazine for members. The internal part of the magazine is for members only but each issue has public pages with insightful articles which ASJA members write for the publication.

I recommend you sign up to receive the public version of the newsletter which is free. For example, the December issue includes an insightful interview from David Kohn with Philip Turner, the editorial director of Union Square Press. Or you can read what Joan Price learned about Book Publicity.

As an ASJA member, I look forward to each issue of the newsletter and normally I often read it the day that I receive it. Now you can read the public portion and grow in your writing with free seasoned writer advice.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comment:

At 3:54 AM, Blogger Sheila Hall Left a note...

Terry, Wow! Double-Wow! You’ve done it again – turned us on to an excellent treasure trove of writer “Helps.” I’d never heard of ASJA (not being published and all), but was delighted to breeze through the website and note all that’s available to non-members... and I signed up for the public portion of the newsletter. I’m especially taken with ASJA Information Sheets and writer resources. I’m going to circle back and snatch up the very affordable “Successful (Money Making!) Blogging” to hear your ideas on the subject. I’m over-awed by what ASJA makes available to writers – Gratis! Thank you so much for sharing the Good Stuff.

 
At 6:39 AM, Blogger Terry Whalin Left a note...

Sheila,

I'm delighted you like the public material that the ASJA offers. Within the organization, we have a little slogan that we use all the time that is true: "We train our competition." Improving in your craft isn't really training your competition. There is plenty of available work for every skilled writer.

Also you only get a taste of the rich range of resources available to every ASJA member in the members-only section of the website and the members-only materials in the monthly newsletter. It makes joining the ASJA a worthy goal for every writer and especially nonfiction writers but we have a contigent of fiction authors as well.The qualifications for membership center on nonfiction writing.

Terry

 
At 2:29 AM, Blogger B. J. Robinson Left a note...

This is what I found myself doing when I decided to take the second class with the Christian Writers Guild, the Journeyman Level. I did read through the information on adult writing mentors for the first class, and I got the one I requested. This time, I thought I'd learn more from trying a different mentor with more experience in the area I'm interested in, fiction. So, I requested her and was fortunate enough to get her. I'm awaiting my new course materials. I learned a lot through the first course, and I've had ten devotionals published over the past year as a result. I'd never written devotionals before.
Barb
http://barbarajrobinson.blogspot.com/

 
At 1:45 PM, Blogger Shannon Gallatin Left a note...

Thanks so much Terry. I am at the very beginning of the writing trail and any help or "mentoring" is a giant blessing. Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving...and reap as much as you sow into others lives like mine. God bless you.

 

Post a Comment


That's the writing life...

Back to the home page...