____________________________________

Thursday, August 14, 2008


A Worthy Read In An Election Year

As a young journalist in college, I wondered what would make a good second major for my studies. Political Science was a natural fit since my emphasis was in new editorial (newspaper journalism). Many newspaper reporters spend at least a stint of their time in city hall and writing about politics. Ironically one of my classes was African Political Systems where we looked in-depth at the politics of Africa. Because I went to college in the 1970s, almost every single African nation has changed names and politics since I took that course. I double majored in journalism and political science.

When I learned about The Faith of Barack Obama by Stephen Mansfield, I wanted to read the book and I recently reviewed the book on Amazon (follow this link to reach the permanent link of the review).

No matter where you stand in the political spectrum, each of us need to be as informed as possible about the candidates so we can make a thoughtful decision. It's an exercise in our freedom to vote in an election year and I always encourage people to vote.

Some things that I did not include in my review relate to the promotion of this book and will interest readers of these entries about The Writing Life. Some publishers offer a sample chapter of the book for readers to try out the book and often that is a few pages. Thomas Nelson is offering a 60-page sample of The Faith of Barack Obama. Click this link to download the PDF sample. Why is that significant? The printed book before the acknowledgments and footnotes is only 144 pages so the sample is a significant portion of the overall book.

I recommend this book as a worthy read during this election season in our country.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Labels: , , ,

3 Comment:

At 11:41 AM, Blogger Unknown Left a note...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 11:44 AM, Blogger Unknown Left a note...

Sorry about that. I think my post was on there twice. Computer issue.

Anyhow, I just posted a blog about "The Faith of Barack Obama" this morning.

Small world. You must have read my mind. Or not..ha.

www.pamkumpe.blogspot.com

 
At 9:22 AM, Blogger Tricia Left a note...

Terry, I read your review and agree that such a sentence is troubling. What's more troubling is that there are many denominational leaders who share this brand of Christianity.

Bryn

 

Post a Comment


That's the writing life...

Back to the home page...