____________________________________

Tuesday, October 16, 2007


A Guide For The Overconfident

There are many different types of writers. Some writers are petrified to be rejected so they never send in their work. Years ago I was in a critique group with one of these types of writers. He had a drawer filled with full-length novels which he had written but never submitted. As we read his work, we learned the stories were well-crafted and encouraged him to get his work out into the marketplace. Thankfully most of those novels have appeared in print with traditional publishers.

Then you have writers at the other end of the spectrum who are constantly submitting (and getting rejected) yet have little craft or writing technique nor do they study the market for a particular publisher or magazine or literary agent before they send off their project. The editorial piles around the country are glutted with these types of submissions. Most writers fall somewhere between these two extremes. Their work would profit from some feedback from an editor or another pass or two to edit through it.

Now Carolyn Howard-Johnson has created The Frugal Editor, Put Your Best Book Forward to Avoid Humiliation and Ensure Success. In a straight-forward style, Carolyn guides writers in how to prepare their manuscript for submission. It's anything from learning how to use the tracking changes feature of Microsoft Word to grammar tips on getting rid of adverbs and passive tense sentences complete with examples. She walks writers through the entire publishing process including galleys and gives some seasoned advice. Whether you are a beginner or a seasoned professional, you can get some solid insight from this new book. I recommend it.

Labels: , , ,

8 Comment:

At 7:49 PM, Blogger Carolyn Howard-Johnson Left a note...

Terry,

Thank you so much for the good words. I, too, am confident that The Frugal Editor will help many writer but I worry that they won't get into the hands of many experienced writers who also need it. (-:

I'll be sending the subscribers to my newsletter to your page to see this, you may be sure. Ha!

Best,
Carolyn Howard-Johnson
www.howtodoitfrugally.com

 
At 2:39 AM, Blogger Susan Barnes Left a note...

Terry, Hope you have a good conference at Glorieta. Sorry I won't be there. Let me know if you meet any Australians!!

 
At 7:32 PM, Blogger Bonnie S. Calhoun Left a note...

This is excellent advice. I will get that book! I wish I could get more people to take it. I find that there's two classes of writers.

Those that take criticism well...and will learn from it.

And those that don't take it well, and continute to submit hundreds of times with no favorable results!

 
At 6:47 AM, Blogger Rebecca Laffar-Smith Left a note...

This sounds like a wonderful book. I've added it and Carolyn's other book The Frugal Book Promoter to my wishlist so I'll hopefully have a chance to read it soon. It certainly sounds like The Frugal Editor offers a wealth of advice and strategy.

 
At 8:21 PM, Blogger Jeff Draper Left a note...

Regarding the writers that make no effort to study the craft or the markets, I've met a few and they just puzzle me. They should be the ones that put everything into a desk drawer. It's like insisting you can play chess when you've never even read the rules. Odd.

 
At 8:16 PM, Blogger Crystal Laine Left a note...

This sounds like a good book to have in my library and I'll be getting it, Terry. Thanks so much for always having your radar on for things like this.

 
At 10:08 PM, Blogger Becky Cheung Left a note...

I guess I have a lot to learn from you guys and start to work on something. Hah. ;)

 
At 6:02 PM, Blogger James Rigney Left a note...

Thanks for the book suggestion. I think I'll pick up a copy.

Any other suggestions on GOOD editing/writing books. 'Cause you know there's only a couple hundred of them in Borders.

 

Post a Comment


That's the writing life...

Back to the home page...