____________________________________

Thursday, October 25, 2007


A Different Look At The Book

The most recent issue of Publishers Weekly that I received (October 15) had a Bible and the cover story words, "The Bible’s New Versions, From Manga to DVD, the Oldest Story Enjoys New Tellings." The article highlights audio and video Bible products from different publishers.

The opening sentence of the article implies these products are a new trend to help people from every persuasion to use the Bible. From my many years of writing about Bible products, I understand publishers are constantly producing new Bible product and in every category--print and audio. Like other areas of book publishing, the publishing houses are eager to meet the needs of new generations and new readers. It is nothing new. Publishers are always looking for a way for more people to read and absorb the words of Scripture. I think it's one of those stories where people in the church know they "should" be reading their Bibles but will they take the time and effort to do it? Sadly few people invest the energy in this direction toward a book which can change their daily lives. Yes, intellectually they may know it but will they carry it out with consistency.

Over 15 years ago, I wrote a little magazine article which has been reprinted in a number of different publications called "Listening Through The Bible." I wrote it in the days before CDs and referred to the Bible on tape. Here's a startling fact that I've known for years: if you listen to the Bible for 20 minutes a day, then you can make it through the entire Bible text from Genesis to Revelation in four months. I love the Bible on audio and have a number of different versions which I use from time to time. Yet for me, I continue to be committed to reading the printed Bible. This year, I've been reading through The Daily Message by Eugene Peterson and I've completed 298 days toward reading the entire text.

Let's apply this consistency to your writing life. Do you have a plan or a goal? Are you consistently writing toward that goal? Break it into bite-size chunks and continue to move toward it. You will be surprised how much can be accomplished with this consistent action.

Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comment:

At 6:09 PM, Blogger Bonnie S. Calhoun Left a note...

This year I'm using the Daily Bible, NIV version. I like the chronological way so much that I'm also using it for the Bible Study I teach at church!

 
At 6:50 PM, Blogger Terry Whalin Left a note...

Bonnie,

I love The Daily Bible in Chronological Order and have read through it several times. A few years ago I met LaGard Smith who did the work on the commentary and putting the books in chronological order. He definitely has that professor look going on with the flowing white beard. I complemented him on his amazing work. It is a good one too--maybe I'll use it in 2008.

Terry

 

Post a Comment


That's the writing life...

Back to the home page...