____________________________________

Saturday, June 02, 2007


Gimmicks Can Work

The Weekend Edition of the Today Show was reviewing books to read at the beach and one of them caught my attention. It was a book called Poolside, or 14 stories from a number of well-known authors about their experiences around a swimming pool. The gimmick for this book is that it's waterproof. In fact, they had a little plastic pool and fished it out of the water on the show.

I have no idea how the short presentation affected other people but I went to my computer and ordered one. It worked to get me and purchase the book. It's definitely different and I'll be curious to see what it looks and feels like--then to read the book. The real test is not going to be the gimmick. It's going to be what is contained in the pages. If the writing and content is excellent, then I will probably be telling even more people about it.

With the proliferation of books, media and product in the marketplace, it is a challenge to get someone to purchase the book in the first place. The next step is to produce something so excellent the user becomes an evangelist for your product. You want to enable that person to actively spread the word about your book any chance they get the opportunity. It’s some of the principles of Greg Stielstra's excellent book, Pyromarketing. If you don't have it, get it and I recommend you read his introduction. I’ll be watching my mailbox for my copy of Poolside so I can check it out for myself.

One more thing: Numerous times in these entries, I've recommended snipurl.com. Their site has undergone a major overhaul. They say they are in beta mode but I applaud their improvements to the site. If you've never used it, register and log on to the site because then you can create your own private abbreviations for various links. It's a terrific resource that I use throughout my day.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comment:

At 9:42 AM, Blogger Adam E. Luther Left a note...

Hi Terry,

The book sounds like mandatory reading for pool owners like me.

BTW, I enjoy your blog. I may try the audiogenerator, it's unique. I maintain a blog; "Somewhere Between Fantasy and Reality" which is not exclusively about fantasy baseball. There are numerous sights with statistics and the like, but I'm focusing on content, grammar, etc. I was picked up by Blogburst so well see if I'm able to gain a wider audience through news media.

 

Post a Comment


That's the writing life...

Back to the home page...