____________________________________

Monday, June 04, 2007


Book Reviews in the Newspapers

When I read my local newspaper, the Arizona Republic, I'm always looking for information about book publishing. Today the Living section included a terrific article about Books for Summer. It is increasingly harder to find these book reviews and in fact a crowded market is shrinking.

Yesterday I was talking with an author that I'm working with on a writing project. He has a new business book that is out and had been at the Book Expo America in New York City. He remarked his publisher was going to be working to get the book reviewed. I listened but I knew it would be a challenge to even get a few good reviews. If you want some insight into this area, check out Lissa Warren's excellent blog entry over at The Huffington Post. Her entry points out the difficulties for publishers and authors with these shrinking pages.

Lissa knows what she is talking about and has an excellent book, The Savvy Author's Guide to Book Publicity. We met several years ago at the American Society of Journalists and Authors meeting in New York. I have a brief excerpt from her book on Right-Writing.

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comment:

At 12:35 PM, Blogger Lisa Left a note...

Thanks for the work that goes into making this a helpful blog. A question: if a book does spark a positive review in a newspaper, how to "spread the fire"?
I've seen the BookLust site of Nancy Pearl:
http://booklust.wetpaint.com/page/Book+Reviews
Other suggestions?
Thanks

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger Terry Whalin Left a note...

Lisa,

A positive newspaper review or magazine review or Amazon review is just one step in the process. The real proof is whether the reader goes and buys the book--and reads it--and talks about it with others. The majority of books catch fire through word of mouth.

As an author, you want to do everything you can to help this process but the mysterious word of mouth is one of the hardest to help. One of the ways I'm spreading the fire with my Book Proposals That Sell is through my affiliate program where you will actually earn money from telling others about the value of the book. My affiliate program is free and simple to use at: www.terryinfo.com

Terry

 
At 11:10 PM, Blogger trowbridge chronicles Left a note...

Wow. what a pleasant surprise to run across your blog and web site, Terry. It's been some time since we've been in touch. I can see that you've come a long in a short period of time. I'm still illustrating a lot, but I find that I'm writing more and more. Much of that is due to the fact that I'm now a syndicated daily "cartoon columnist" with United Features Syndicate. I put your blog and web site on my favorites list. Keep in touch.

 
At 11:11 PM, Blogger Terry Whalin Left a note...

Bron,

It has been a long time. Please email me and let's keep in touch.

Terry

 

Post a Comment


That's the writing life...

Back to the home page...